Monday, July 19, 2010

Norwegian Chess Championship 2010, Class 4, Game 3





Picture 1 - A great angle to see how young these chessplayers are.
Picture 2 - View from our house. "Gamlebyen" is a few hundred yards to the left.

Game 3.. I AM LEARNING MY LESSON THE HARD WAY... AS ALWAYS
My opponent is Allan Lilleøren from Lørenskog Chess Club. He has a rating of 1038, which is close to the bottom of the class rating. I looked on the internet yesterday to see if he played in last years tournament. He did. Same class. He came in close to last place. So I am reckoning that with fair play during the year, he must have improved over his rating.

He is playing the black pieces and opens with the Sicilian Defence. An opening I used myself in the 1980's, but long since fogotten. I'm not sure I would feel comfortable playing this opening today, had I learned it again, but one should always know the main lines, so one can counterattack. What I end up doing is playing my own game and looking at my castled position, I see that I have given away every advantage there is to having the white pieces. Today's lesson must be to stop opening the way I do with the white pieces. I googled it. It's called "The Inverted Philidor". A mirror image of how I play with the black pieces.

My opponent gets an attack going on the queen side before I can mount a credible attack on his kings side where he has castled. I soon find myself in trouble.

0000 Gaute Michel Ferstad, Trondheim, White, 0
1038 Allan Lilleøren, Lørenskog, Black, 1





No comments:

Post a Comment