Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Analyzing My Games With Torstein Bae (The Chess House / Sjakkhuset)

Picture #1 - Analyzing one of my games with International Master Torstein Bae

"Sjakkhuset" which correctly translated, I believe would be "Chess House" or "The Chess House" is an up and coming company and a great addition to the Norwegian chess environment. The three "major players" are Woman International Master Silje Bjerke, International Master Torbjørn Ringdal Hansen and International Master Torstein Bae.

They brought with them a collection of chess books, videos and other chess stuff we might want to buy. But the interesting thing for me.. and off course them.. was something else they were offering. Chess preperations for your upcoming game and alanyses of the games you play. With 499 participants in this year's  Norwegian Chess Championship and nine games played over eight days, that spells M.O.N.E.Y and the first thing that came to mind when I saw the signs was... SMART. That said, why not? I have been looking forward to this tournament for the longest time. Why shouldn't I take advantage of this? At least the analyses part.

After a game, win.. draw.. or loss, you sit there and wonder where and when did I gain that edge.. or .. at what time did it all go so wrong? Could I have done something different? Am I seeing the whole picture? And then you do your own analyses or together with your opponent after the game. In class 4, I am guessing my opponents and myself might have missed out on a few things. So, .. when do you ever get the chance to have your games analysed by International FIDE Masters with ratings over 2400? At least not me, because even though I play for Trondheim Chess Club, I haven't set my foot in the door these last 20 years. And if they do have members of that caliber, how much nagging from my part is needed to get them to look over my games?

So yes, I paid up front for all my nine games (which by the way gives you a discount..ok, enough marketing) and had them analysed. I get to say what I thought at the time of the moves, my plans or desperation.. and then what Mr. 2400 thinks of my decisions. And the fun part, which is a little bit out of context, but what the hell.. Remember all the times you were sitting there with a chess book, going on move 23 and then comes a few variations, and after you try your best, you just can't revind or remember where the pieces go, and then you have to start from scratch, over, and over and over again.. until you just dread opening that book? Well, there is no problem. You could have done this, Mr. 2400 says and shows 10 moves into the future.. or this.. and the funny part is that when it comes time to place the pieces back to where they were, Mr. 2400 does that. It's the perfect revind.

Ok. Back to bussiness. My analyzer was Torstein Bae. And yes. It was worth the money. He was able to tell me where I went astray, or my opponent for that sake. And I did pick up a few pointers. We didn't really get started with the ananlyses before well into the tournament, but I did eventually (even though he has 2400 in rating.. i am unfortunately not easily convinced) listen to what he said... and won my last three games. Inverted Philidor with white is a no..no. And for Gods Sake Man, be more aggressive. At least put some pieces beyond the third rank. He put it more diplomatic, but the message came through.. (eventually).

And one other little tidbit. I feel comfortable with the endgame. I just want to survive the opening and I feel all swell. Well, for those of you watching my videos and hearing me say I haven't got a clue about openings or the theory after move two.. watch out. Because that is definately one of the things I need to work on before next year's Norwegian Chess Championship. According to Torstein Bae.

I haven't talked to seriously about this with "The Chess House, my wife or myself yet, but I might just take a few lessons before next year's tournament in Oslo.

No comments:

Post a Comment